To create, promote and maintain a vibrant Jewish Community in Summerville and the North Area.
Passover or Pesach is an important Jewish Holiday described in the Book of Exodus that commemorates the liberation from slavery in ancient Egypt and how Moses led the Jews to freedom. Join Tzietl, Yosef, and other local musicians as we celebrate Passover reading and singing from the Haggadah and enjoying learning about the symbols of Passover. All ages and faiths are welcome.
$5 per person suggested donation (cash please). Bring a side dish and/or dessert to share that does NOT contain “hametz”, which would be wheat or any other leavened bread product. Also, please bring nonperishable items to be donated to local blessing boxes. Parking and enterance is located at back of Saul Alexander Masonic Lodge, accessible from Luke St. next to the railroad tracks.
Come casual, hungry, and ready to celebrate life and our freedom at this unity gathering of all in Summerville!
Our Summerville Holocaust Proclamation at Town Hall will be followed by Candlelight Silent Walk to Summerville Museum to light memorial candles.
Tri County Jewish Hero Award sponsored by Summerville North Area Jewish Community presented to Marlene Willamon. More details to come!
Bring-a-MUG to honor the MUGLADY and her years of kindness and service to the Lowcountry Community.
Summerville & North Area Jewish Community Board
Founder: Patrick C. Labbe
Community Leaders: Robyn Wittenberg Dudley
Community Ritual Coodinators: Tim Carle & Patrick C. Labbe
Mitzvah Maven/Community Outreach: Cyn Ava
Archive of Recent Events
Purim Party at Perkins in Summerville. Hamantaschen essential!
Much appreciation to videographer David Frederick and journalist Jenna Harrison for documenting last Sunday’s civil rights panel program held at the Saul Alexander Masonic Lodge. Click here to read the article from the Summerville Journal Scene: https://www.journalscene.com/news/love-binds-us-forum-on-diversity-seeks-solutions-to-ongoing/article_3343f97a-050d-11e8-b60d-e341b69f7138.html
The Summerville Jewish Community will march in MLK Jr. parade along with Charleston Jewish Federation and other Jewish organizations. Mark yourself as Going on our Facebook event by clicking here. Join us as we march together and honor the visionary work of Martin Luther King, Jr. and support the Charleston YWCA ’s 46th Annual Federal
Please help by showing our gratitude to first responders!!! Some of the Summerville Jewish community will eat Chinese food at 3 pm at China Kitchen in Knightsville right outside of Summerville at 1585 Central Ave in the Publix Shopping Center. Message me or call if you are joining us 843 819 8509. Before you come,
Getting Ready to light the Hanukkah candles at the festival of lights in James Island Park sponsored by PJ Library, Jewish community center without walls, KKBE, and synagogue Emanuel!
Fun times at the Hanukkah on the Square and we promoted that we had our own holiday diversity Lightfest in Summerville! Wouldn’t it be great if we could have a low country/tri County lightfest next year? That would show a display of unity that everyone keeps talking about. Let’s make history and walk the talk
Happy Hanukkah to all. So proud to be a part of a group that participated in night of giving at the Publix in Knightsville. Synagogue Emanuel organized it and thank you to Summerville resident Lydia, her daughter Emma and the others who attended and donated a carful of non-perishables to Charleston Jewish family services food
News 2 covered the Summerville Diversity Lightfest at Azalea Park which was held Sunday, December 3. See the article written by Jenna of the Summerville Journal Scene about the Diversity Lightfest by clicking here. There is also an article on Channel 2 News site about your Summerville CommUNITY Diversity Lightfest which can be read here.
Jewish Family Services at Summerville Harvest Lunch, Health Screenings with Community Resource Center
Such a beautiful good deed on such a beautiful day. Thank you Jewish family services, feed thy neighbor, and community resource center for helping the Summerville CommUNITY!
The Summerville CommUNITY Artists Heritage Series presents: Conversations With Cancer Cancer touches the lives of everyone in the world. The Summerville/North Area Jewish Community and The Community Resource Center bring together all who have been touched by this disease for an afternoon of togetherness. Samantha Brock Perlmutter will sing songs of inspiration from her new
Archive of all past events
- February 25, 2018 : Purim Party and Mitzvah Good Deed Day
- January 5, 2018 : Summerville Jewish Community Will March In MLK Jr. Parade
- December 19, 2017 : Summerville represented at the Festival of Lights at James Island County Park
- December 17, 2017 : Summerville at Hanukkah on the Square
- December 12, 2017 : Light first candle and shop for Kosher Food Pantry at Publix Knightsville
- December 3, 2017 : Summerville CommUNITY Diversity Lightfest
- October 28, 2017 : Heritage Series “Conversations with Cancer”
- October 8, 2017 : Summerville attends Sushi in the Sukkah
- October 2, 2017 : Kosher Karavan to South Florida for Hurricane Irma Relief
- September 17, 2017 : Summerville Tashlich
- September 6, 2017 : Hurricane Harvey Relief Collection
- August 17, 2017 : Unity Vigil in Memory of Charlottesville Massacre
- June 27, 2017 : Heritage Series features local guitarist Ulyana Machneva
- April 25, 2017 : Never forget: Summerville community remembers Holocaust horrors
- April 24, 2017 : April 24th Holocaust Program
- April 23, 2017 : Yom Hashoah 2017
- April 18, 2017 : Passover 2017
- April 14, 2017 : Summerville recognizes Holocaust Remembrance Day
- April 13, 2017 : Holocaust Proclamation April 13th
- March 28, 2017 : Heritage series celebrates African-American, Jewish women
- March 27, 2017 : Heritage Series March 27th
- March 12, 2017 : Purim 2017!
- February 27, 2017 : Shared Dreams
- February 25, 2017 : February 25th Program at Allston Bailey Elementary School
- January 3, 2017 : January Summerville CommUNITY Artists Heritage Series
- December 27, 2016 : ‘It’s all about unity and love’
- December 26, 2016 : A Celebration of Holiday Diversity!
- November 28, 2016 : Heritage Night – Red Cedar Review
- October 29, 2016 : October 2016 Meeting
- October 29, 2016 : Summerville Jewish History Day
- September 29, 2016 : September Meeting 2016
- September 29, 2016 : Coming St. Cemetery Tour
- April 30, 2016 : April Havdallah Service
- March 23, 2016 : Purim Party
- January 24, 2016 : January Meeting: The Abayudaya Experience
- December 17, 2015 : Chanukah 2015
- November 29, 2015 : November 2015 Meeting
- September 29, 2015 : September 2015 Meeting
- August 22, 2015 : August 22nd Havdallah Service
- July 29, 2015 : July 2015 Meeting
- June 14, 2015 : June 2015 Meeting
- December 29, 2012 : Occupy Chanukkah
- December 21, 2011 : Chanukkah
- April 20, 2011 : Pesach 2011
- March 26, 2011 : March Post Purim Party and Havdallah
- January 23, 2011 : January Bowling Outing
- December 23, 2010 : Occupy Chanukkah
- December 19, 2010 : Post Chanukah Recovery Getogether
- December 8, 2010 : Chanukah Party at the Shapiro’s
- December 5, 2010 : Chanukah in the Square
- November 13, 2010 : November 2010: 1st Anniversary of our group!
- October 16, 2010 : October Havdallah
- September 12, 2010 : September Activity
- July 17, 2010 : July Dinner
- June 27, 2010 : June Cookout
- May 29, 2010 : May Activities
- March 28, 2010 : Passover Family Seder
- February 24, 2010 : Purim 2010
- January 31, 2010 : January Activities