To create, promote and maintain a vibrant Jewish Community in Summerville and the North Area.
The Summerville CommUNITY Artists Heritage Series presents: Conversations With Cancer
Sunday, October 29th, 2017
4 pm to 6 p
Saul Alexander Masonic Hall
111 North Main Street, Summerville, SC
Cancer touches the lives of everyone in the world. The Summerville/North Area Jewish Community and The Community Resource Center bring together all who have been touched by this disease for an afternoon of togetherness. Samantha Brock Perlmutter will sing songs of inspiration from her new CD “Be A Song”.
The Carolina Seniors Line Dancers will dance for cancer, and others from our community will sing songs, show visual art and tell stories about their fights, triumphs and losses in an afternoon meant to unite and educate our community.
The event is free to attend, light refreshments will be served. Donations can be made at the event to ACS’s Charleston Hope Lodge (cancer family housing) and Hope’s House (Summerville Women’s Shelter).
In collaboration with the Community Resource Center of Summerville.
Make sure to RSVP to let us know you’re coming on Facebook!
Summerville & North Area Jewish Community Board
Founder: Patrick C. Labbe
Community Leaders: Robyn Wittenberg Dudley & Amy Tabak
Community Ritual Coodinators: Tim Carle & Patrick C. Labbe
Mitzvah Maven/Community Outreach: Cyn Ava
Archive of Recent Events
Families turned out for the Summerville CommUNITY Back to School Bash on Sunday August 20, 2017 for food, haircuts, school supplies, sports demonstrations, jump castles and more. The bash was sponsored by Build-A-Brother, the Distinguished Gentlemen’s Club, We-R1, Community Resource Center, the Summerville North Area Jewish Community, and the Charleston Jewish Community Center Without Walls.
Click here to read the article about how the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities addressed issues and concerns of our local and world community on Sunday July 30,2017 http://www.journalscene.com/news/breaking-barriers-through-faith/article_1c79864a-75ef-11e7-97bd-f3402519eb6c.html
“Can Forgive, But Cannot Forget” As local guitarist, Ulyana Machneva, played, the diverse and inclusive group introduced themselves and asked Diny Adkins questions. Diny K. Adkins will be 80 years old next year and is memorable. After being presented a plaque entitled “Jewish Hero Award” for recognition of service for Holocaust awareness, the Holocaust survivor and educator
On June 25th the Summerville/North Area Jewish Community, the Jewish Community Center Without Walls and the Community Resource Center presented a very special program on the Holocaust with speaker Diny K. Adkins who gave an inspiring and heart wrenching talk about her experiences in the Holocaust in Holland. Ms. Adkins a retired Music Therapist was
The Summerville Dorchester Museum and the Jewish Historical Society of South Carolina unveiled a historic marker on Short Central on Sunday celebrating Jewish heritage in Summerville. The historical society spent the day in Summerville learning about Jewish life and merchants in Summerville and touring downtown heritage sites and homes. Ernie Marcus, president of the society,
REMEMBERING THE HOLOCAUST Remembering the Victims and Survivors Through Visual Art, Spoken Word, Music and More The event was a great sucess with participants from all around the local Jewish Community, Excerpts of the play “The Life of Anne Frank” played to a packed house. Many speakers were included in the program including musical performances,
‘Give them a second life’: Holocaust survivor speaks on remembering victims Sunday at Charleston Museum
The first Seder held by the Summerville/North Area Jewish Community since 2012. (A Seder was held in 2011 in Ladson by the community and another in 2012 in West Ashley by the community as well. ) The 2017 Seder was held in the historic Saul Alexander Masonic Hall on Main St. in Summerville. Joe Robertucci
(Prayers for Healing)
- Irene Carr of Summerville
- Marlene Willamon of Charleston
- Linda Rouvet of North Charleston
- Patrick Labbe of Summerville
- Christopher Labbe of Florence
- Janet Sussman of Summerville
- Barry Elfman of Moncks Corner
Archive of all past events
- June 27, 2017 : Heritage Series features local guitarist Ulyana Machneva
- April 25, 2017 : Never forget: Summerville community remembers Holocaust horrors
- April 24, 2017 : April 24th Holocaust Program
- April 23, 2017 : Yom Hashoah 2017
- April 18, 2017 : Passover 2017
- April 14, 2017 : Summerville recognizes Holocaust Remembrance Day
- April 13, 2017 : Holocaust Proclamation April 13th
- March 28, 2017 : Heritage series celebrates African-American, Jewish women
- March 27, 2017 : Heritage Series March 27th
- March 12, 2017 : Purim 2017!
- February 27, 2017 : Shared Dreams
- February 25, 2017 : February 25th Program at Allston Bailey Elementary School
- January 3, 2017 : January Summerville CommUNITY Artists Heritage Series
- December 27, 2016 : ‘It’s all about unity and love’
- December 26, 2016 : A Celebration of Holiday Diversity!
- November 28, 2016 : Heritage Night – Red Cedar Review
- October 29, 2016 : October 2016 Meeting
- October 29, 2016 : Summerville Jewish History Day
- September 29, 2016 : September Meeting 2016
- September 29, 2016 : Coming St. Cemetery Tour
- April 30, 2016 : April Havdallah Service
- March 23, 2016 : Purim Party
- January 24, 2016 : January Meeting: The Abayudaya Experience
- December 17, 2015 : Chanukah 2015
- November 29, 2015 : November 2015 Meeting
- September 29, 2015 : September 2015 Meeting
- August 22, 2015 : August 22nd Havdallah Service
- July 29, 2015 : July 2015 Meeting
- June 14, 2015 : June 2015 Meeting
- December 29, 2012 : Occupy Chanukkah
- December 21, 2011 : Chanukkah
- April 20, 2011 : Pesach 2011
- March 26, 2011 : March Post Purim Party and Havdallah
- January 23, 2011 : January Bowling Outing
- December 23, 2010 : Occupy Chanukkah
- December 19, 2010 : Post Chanukah Recovery Getogether
- December 8, 2010 : Chanukah Party at the Shapiro’s
- December 5, 2010 : Chanukah in the Square
- November 13, 2010 : November 2010: 1st Anniversary of our group!
- October 16, 2010 : October Havdallah
- September 12, 2010 : September Activity
- July 17, 2010 : July Dinner
- June 27, 2010 : June Cookout
- May 29, 2010 : May Activities
- March 28, 2010 : Passover Family Seder
- February 24, 2010 : Purim 2010
- January 31, 2010 : January Activities