JCC Without Walls Frequently Asked Questions
– Changing demographics of the Jewish population
– How, when and where fitness, recreation, educational, social, sports and extracurricular activities are conducted shifted tremendously with technological advances, people staying in college longer, getting married and having kids later in life and so on.
– Our location and facility were no longer convenient or conducive which impacted membership, programming, donations and revenue.
– Increased competition in fitness, recreation, youth and adult programming.
– Growth of Jewish community and increase of local Jewish organizations offering programs & activities.
– The cost of maintaining an ageing facility of that size was simply unrealistic and not a feasible business model
– Following that, over 90% of the remaining funds went into a restricted fund at Jewish Endowment Fund (JEF) at the Coastal Community Foundation. This means that the corpus of this money will not and cannot be touched. The only funds that could be disbursed are interest. And this is only if and when interest is earned.
– Seed money was granted to start Wow with the explicit agreement and understanding that this was for 1 year of operation only, Sept. 2015 – Aug. 2016
– As to furnishings and content- any equipment and furnishings owned by the JCC that could be sold were and some items are now in the new JCC WoW office on Orleans road.
Financial viability & potential for longevity
Fulfilling the mission
Determining if the JCC WOW is meeting the defined needs in a meaningful capacity
Success of programs and events
Strength of partnerships
Feedback from event attendees, partners, board, staff and community at large